Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Salzburg

Here is Salzburg, the last location on my two week trip. It is the birth place of Mozart, the location The Sound of Music was filmed and full of history.
Below are pictures from the church Maria was married in the movie, The Sound of Music. I will from now on just refer to it as "the movie."




Random cool house? I saw.



Above are the trees they climbed in "the movie" and below is the gazebo that was in the back ground of "the movie" but not the one the two couples kissed in.



Above is the abbey that was in "the movie" and was actually where the real Maria went.
Kind of blurry, because I was in a van, but fields of yellow flowers was what I saw often in Austria and Germany. Beautiful spring!




This is where Hitler's house was. Crazy! If you can read the inscription above it explains that it burned by the Oberslazber SS and later the US military government ordered the ruin to be blown up in1952. This is all that remains. From the remaining portions of the foundation you could see it was quite large. He spent more than a third of his time in power here.

Above is a recreated Celtic village since they were the first settlers of Salzburg.

I went on a little salt mine tour. It was fun. We crossed the Austrian/German border while in the mountain.


Above is a picture of what we were all wearing. Ill fitting white pants and shirt. Then at two points in the mine we had to slide down these weird slides. But it was fun. Below is a picture of the slide. I had no idea a salt mine could be so touristy. Slides, video clips, pictures of you going down the slide like we were at Six Flags or something!



These are pictures from the beautiful parks all over Salzburg. The Sound of Music pretty much visits many of these and splices it all together even though they are spread apart.



Below are the traditional clothes that I occationally saw people wearing in both Austria and Germany, and I was looking at them trying to figure out if they were just wearing it for fun, or if they had some tourist related job or I don't know...



That is the Fortress of Salzburg.
The following are some pictures from the Museum of Modern art which happened to have one of my favorite paintings by Van Gogh. The picture below is of a postman, Van Gogh painted 7 of these and I have recently made it my goal to see all of them. One is in the Neatherlands, so I will try to go by there on my way to Amsterdam. The others are all in the US: Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Malibu and Detroit. My favorite one is in PA, it has been my laptop's desktop picture since forever.
This was some artists self portrait. I just love self portraits. You get to see the artist view of them self through their preferred medium and style.





























No comments:

Post a Comment