Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Paris

Below are some things found in pastry shops.

I loved Paris this time around. Paris was probably my favorite city of the two week trip.

The weather was great, my French has improved slightly and I tried lots of different pastries. Their baguettes are beyond description. Chewy and delicious with a uniquely flaky, crisp outer layer. It wasn't hard or crunchy, just good. Also I found a new pastry I like. I forgot the name in French, but basically it is an almond croissant. I the middle is a rich, slightly bitter chocolate paired with a sweet almond paste, and topped with sliced almonds. Mmmm. It makes me want to squeeze in another visit just for the food.






An add I thought was funny.
Sacre Coeur.


These two adds were everywhere, train stations, subways. I thought they were funny. So French.
Below are pictures from the Justice building.




Below are pictures from a cathedral. The cathedral was okay. The one in Cambridge was far better, and not under construction and not 8 euro.









The Eiffel tower at night. Ever hour, on the hour for about 5 minutes, the lights twinkle. It was fun.





Church! I went to church in Paris and it was great. There were a lot of people there that were stuck because of the volcano. We had an English Sunday school. This is where my crazy bit of coincidences began. I was at church, in Sunday School, and I saw a boy from my engineering program at BYU. I also had seen him at my uncle's ward in Sandy, Utah. I don't think he recognized me, but anyway, I talked to him and ended up joining his brother and sister-in-law and him for lunch, which lead to a road trip from Paris to Marsailles, Nice, Monaco, Pisa and Florence. Which was very nice not to be alone, and it was beautiful to drive through France and Italy. Anyway, if you want to know more I think I will type it up in a separate blog about the whole story.
The entry to church. I never would have found it except I happened to see some girls walking in.
I tried to take a picture of church. It was a courtyard area, so it was hard to take a picture, it was all really close. I heard this was the most expensive church in the world. I believe it, it was IN Paris, the Hotel Deville subway exit for those of you familiar with Paris. The very center.


The Hotel Deville.
Above is my first hostel of the trip. Very crappy. No linens, towels and freezing cold showers, so I washed my hair in the sink. Also internet cost like 3 euros per half hour. But it was IN Paris and only $20 a night.

1 comment:

  1. I want to hear the whole story!!

    All your talk about French food made my lunch seem ultra lame, pb and j with some yogurt. Is there any american food you miss? I made your granola the other day--yum!

    ReplyDelete