Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Paris - The Louvre


The Louvre, was AMAZING! For those of you who haven't seen it, I know you have heard that all your life. But really, it was amazing. Before entering, I knew that it contained amazing pieces from many centuries, and was the largest museum in the world, but I didn't know how it was presented. I didn't know how beautiful and spacious the rooms holding the pieces were, and again the ceilings were intricately amazing . I loved it. It was actually REALLY nice being alone, I could move at my own pace, see what I wanted to see. I spent about 4 hours there, and actually saw a lot. I was exhausted by the end, and had to take two breaks, but I made it though. There are rooms off of every main room, and they just go further and further and you can just follow it.

So somethings to look for, in no particular order:

1) The Mona Lisa - really small actually, but the most famous painting in the world.

2) The Code of Hammurabi - considered the first written law or code, written during the rule of King Hammurabi. It is over 7 feet tall and was written in 1790 B.C.

3) Napoleon's Apartment - probably my favorite part. Incredibly ornate rooms with HUGE chandeliers. It was pretty cool. I think I counted 46 seats at the dinning table. HUGE.

4) Venus de Milo - Know as one of the most famous works of ancient Greek sculpture. She is said to be a depiction of the goddess of love and beauty, Aphrodite. There is much mystery behind the missing of her arms, and it is said that France hyped her up to be of more importance than she is after they lost the Medici Venus to the Italians, because Napoleon had stolen it.

The one bad thing about the Louvre was that all the descriptions were in French, and my French vocabulary doesn't pertain to ancient art. Come on Louvre, this museum is for the world, and the world does not all speak French. We all speak English.

Famous, but I don't know its title. Let me know, if you know.

















The Mona Lisa, as if it needs and introduction.






This was huge, obviously. This is the one also located in Versailles.


The two above art works are really famous, but I can't remember why, if you know please comment. It is hard to figure it out when I don't have the name of the work.
This bust was huge! I took a picture of a woman next to it just so you could have some concept of the scale.



















































Benjamin Franklin. Hm, cool, I didn't know his bust was in the Louvre.





The Code of Hammurabi.






The following group of pictures are from Napoleons apartment.



















The following are not from Napoleon's apartment.















































No comments:

Post a Comment