Sunday, February 14, 2010

London

LONDON
These pictures are from my little weekend to Cambridge/London. These are the London portion. January 30-31st.
So, many of these building may seem insignificant. That is because they are. I just took pictures of anything and everything, just to show you what it is like to walk down the street in London. I felt like I hardly saw anything.

Also, I took the red bus tour. It was good, nice audio accompaniment, but many pictures are taken from the bus, so they are poor in quality. There was a bad angle, or glare, or dirty windows. I did my best, just bear that in mind. By the time the tour was finished many things were closed, like the Westminster Abbey, consequently I went in few places. All of these pictures are outdoors, buildings, statues and the like. I definitely plan on going back and actually going in museums and sites.








Below is Harrod's the famous London department store. You can barely see the sign on the side of the building. It was huge! I didn't go inside, but it looks huge.

Look, Hermione Granger is the Burberry model. Pretty high class.


















The summer betwixt my first and second year at the Y, I was slightly obsessed with reading Sherlock Holmes. For some reason I just love when they use the phrase "By Jove!" Anyway you should try them, pretty good. Avoid "A Study in Scarlet" but I would recommend "The Man with the Twisted Lip", "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" and "The Hound of the Baskervilles". In the books he lives at a fictional address on Baker Street in London. Look, below it is Baker Street! It was cool, in the tube(the London subway) there are black and white pictures of scenes from the famous stories along with brief summaries. I wanted to take a picture, but I was always on the tube going past them. Next time.

I didn't go in, but here is Madame Tussauds, the famous wax museum.









A cab, I rode in a cab for the first time! I should make a lists of my firsts this year, they are many.





Awesome, Texas food in London. I wish I went there.

































London Bridge.




In the two picture of London Bridge above you can see the huge naval ship that saw action in WWII.
On London Bridge.


















Of course, Big Ben. The most famous clock tower in the world.





You can see the London Eye. The huge Ferris wheel. Parts from it were manufactured all over Europe.








More Big Ben.

Below is probably my favorite picture of the bunch. So Londoner.













Last of the Ben's.


My love of Sherlock Holmes probably gave away my love of murder mystery. I went to see a murder mystery thriller in the London theater. Agatha Christie's "The Mousetrap" I am sworn to secrecy about the ending! It was pretty good, not my favorite, but good.


Church! Look at the church building in the middle of London. Just below Hyde Park. It was beautiful. One of the reasons I was really looking forward to London was church. 3 whole hours of all English. It was great. Many people there were American, I love meeting Americans. And I sat next to this woman in Sunday School. She was from Houston, has 5 children all at BYU or recently graduated and 4 of them are engineers. Pretty cool. We had a lot to talk about, and she kindly invited me over for lunch. She had an awesome flat right in London just a 5 min. drive from the church. She had the largest kitchen I have seen since I have come to Europe. Huge!









I couldn't tell what the above statue was from far away, but it is a horse head, nose down. Hmm.


In the above picture Benedict Arnold lived there, it says so on the sign you can't read. And below, I just liked the window. I love federal style windows. I will definitely have one above my front door. Definitely.
The end. Finally. A lot considering I hardly saw anything. I definitely plan on going back, so much more to see! Loved London. Loved speaking English, hearing English, reading English. It was great. I love the architecture and style, the shopping, the American influence, the French influence. So many things.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your pictures as usual. London Bridge and Big Ben were my favorites. London Bridge was beautiful, even for a picture, so I can imagine it must be awesome in real life. I can't imagine how that would feel to want to hear English so bad. Maybe something like wanting to talk to an adult so bad. Some days I feel like I only talk toddler until Steve gets home. You probably know how that feels too. Thanks for the update. London looks amazing. Love ya.
    Kandie

    ReplyDelete