Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Week Fiveish

Nothing exciting has happened just basic everyday stuff. This weekend I am going to France, just a city an hour away, for a day so I should have some pictures from that. The next week I am planning on visiting my cousin on an American base in Germany, so that should be interesting as well. My first time to try to figure out the trains.

Here are random pictures from around Peseux, the small town I am in. These are from just up my street.


I love the parks here! Good thing I get to go there every afternoon with the children. The following are pictures of one park, or the view surrounding it and one other park. The first park is in St. Blaise, just north of Neuchatel. It is a dock, or port and has a beautiful path winding around the lake. I don't remember where the other park was, it had beautiful view of the Lake and surrounding vineyards.


It is fun everyday here because everything is new and unfamiliar, but sometimes I can't figure out really easy things like a can opener. I was supposed to feed the children green beans, but I could not figure out how use the can opener. At the time I thought it just wasn't the can opener, because I saw no similarities in it to ours. It was just a flat piece of metal, similar to the type you use to puncture evaporated milk cans. Still have to figure that one out.

Also this past week I went somewhere in town with all three children. The elevators are so small, we barely all fit with the stroller. Barely. They are like the elevators in Japan. Enjoy your huge American elevators for me. Do a cartwheel or something to celebrate all the room. Anyway it was a large building and they have 1/2 floors, and I got in and had no idea how to get down to the ground floor. There were about 20 buttons and all of them had some type of abbreviation on them. I couldn't just pick the bottom one because I didn't know if there was a basement or something. I just started pushing a few and finally figured out that it was REC. I don't know what that means in French, apparently ground floor or something.

Random other things I have noticed: things cost about double, wedding rings are small, very simple most don't even have a diamond, just a band. The one's I have seen with a diamond are tiny, I don't think I have ever seen a diamond that small in "The States", ever. Most buildings don't have carpet, just wood or tile. Even the whole church buildings. Our flat is heated through the floor, so that is very nice.

They recycle a lot, like in Japan. Japan was crazy how much you had to sort your trash. It was difficult to through things away. Here they do paper/cardboard, aluminum cans, and plastic bottles. In Japan they had a separate trash area for everything. For example in McDonald's, when you are finished with your meal there is a hole to pour your ice, one to put your straw and cup lid, and then one for the paper bag and cup. Wow. When I was there I wanted to throw away my shoes (they were trashed after hiking Mt. Fuji and I wanted more room in my small carry-on luggage) and there was no where to throw away odd items like that. I just ditched them at a hotel we stayed at.

I went to Lousanne this week, it is about 45 minutes away. It was for stake conference. It was nice, more industrialized and crowded. We passed some really nice towns on the way. There are a lot of vineyards around here. One is called Champagne, they produce wine and are petitioning to have the sole rights to that name. I tried to take pictures, but it was foggy, and the windows were covered with rain so most turned out poorly, but here are a few.


In Europe you state your phone number in two digit increments such as 469-371-3028 would be 46, 93, 71, 30, 28. Funny huh, and they write there ones much differently. They almost look like triangles without the bottom.

Food, good food. There are two weird/interesting things I have tried, the first of which was a little gray colored pudding looking thing. It was boiled egg, asparagus, gelatin, and mayonnaise all finely ground and then set into a mold in the refrigerator. It was pretty good actually, well at least not bad. The other thing was this brown paste spread on a piece of bread. It was at someone's home and it looked better than the bologna which I know I don't like. They were explaining to the missionaries what it was in French(after I had taken it), and I couldn't tell what they were saying but the missionaries avoided it. I knew it was some part of the duck, and I was afraid they were talking about brain or something, I saw people motioning at the head and saying it is taken from here. But it turned out to be the liver, but it still wasn't good, I choked down half.

I am getting better at the three kisses thing, it still feels weird. I don't worry about it too much because everyone knows that I am American and therefore completely awkward about it. Some people don't kiss me because of that, or they kiss me and apologize or they just give me a hug.

Here are what the Swiss francs look like, just in case you were wondering. I feel like American dollars are so monochromatic in comparison to other countries currency.



The rest are just a few other pictures from Neuchatel. I just go walk there for a couple hours every Tuesday morning with the baby because the children are at school and the housekeeper comes to clean the flat.

5 comments:

  1. wow how exciting! Is all of europe this enchanting? Christa has fabulous pictures too. I have noticed there arent any pictures of you or the kids on there, would love to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, we're going to have to plan to meet up somewhere in Europe one of these days! In December we're going to Italy for the 2 weeks before Christmas, and then the first 2 weeks of January we'll be in Southern Portugal and Spain...I don't know if you have any time to travel, but if you get the urge, I'd love to see you! What a great adventure you're having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you getting used to the children? Do you like nannying? I love all of your pictures, the hillside of green was stunning. Do you have to cook dinner, or what is a typical day like? Sorry so many questions. Have a great day. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of interview/ background checks did they give you before you were hired? How did they know you would be good? I love you - Grandma Pike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, I love reading your blog! It's keeping me entertained during class. :) I think I'll do a cartwheel in the large SWKT elevator when I leave--haha! I'm excited to hear about their Christmas traditions. Keep us posted! Oh, and I would like to see what the kids look like too!

    ReplyDelete