Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Swiss Sunrises

Here are a few beautiful sunrises I witnessed. The pictures are just taken from the living room. I wish I had a better camera that could actually capture how amazing it was.







So today I went to a new French class. It was for beginners, but I felt retarded. The other girls there were Au pairs, but still in their teenage years. Being an Au pair is very common here, since being fluent in other languages is very important, but most people do it when they are about 18. There were 8 girls in my class, 6 spoke Swiss-German, and 2 spoke Spanish. It seemed they all knew a little English. I was sitting there listening to 3 different languages being spoken, and understanding nothing. I had to continually remind myself that I should not be expected to understand these languages, I have never learned them. Anyway, my teacher was blunt at first, but quickly understood my level and said she would help me find a different beginner class more at my level, and perhaps even my age group.

It was funny in the new French class when I introduced myself as an American the two girls across from me quickly became excited. Immediately once the teacher had finished speaking with me they raised their hands and ask where in America I was from. It was funny. It is interesting to see other countries opinions of America/Americans. I had not realized our influence. Japan was incredibly Americanized, so much so that I was somewhat disappointed in visiting. I wanted it to be more different and shocking than it was. In Ghana it made me laugh listening to the music on their radio. It was all American, but not current songs. Mostly old 90's music, and country singers like Dolly Parton. In a play we attended in the upscale Capital Theater(which was pretty nice, even by American standards) they played songs like "Don't worry, be happy". It seemed unfitting. Near the temple in Ghana there was some graffiti on the freeway overpass saying: I love Texas. I suppose other Texans had traveled their as well. Living here sometimes I wish I stood out as an American, but I don't. It was nice in Japan, because people would speak to me in Japanese, but not expect me to understand at all. Which was good, because I didn't understand a word. The sales women in stores were so nice and friendly, probably the best service I have had, ever. Sometimes, like tonight, I think "What am I doing here?". Who moves to another country without knowing the language? Really, before missionaries move they go through 3 months of intense learning with fellow classmates at similar levels and then they have a senior companion when they do move to their respective countries. And when Au pairs come, or exchange students they usually have studied the language in school for years (here it is usually around 7 years) before they move to that country and try to become fluent. I moved here knowing about 10 words in French.

On the other hand, it is good to do difficult things. Everything feels easier afterward. I just get excited by the thought of having every sign, radio station, food label all in English again! I am excited to understand people speaking as they pass me on the street or sit near me on the bus. French is confusing and I feel so far behind, but upper-level college math was still far worse. Engineering in general was far more uncomfortable for me than a room full of girls speaking foreign languages.

I am going to London for the last weekend in January, I am excited! It should be fun. Then February 10-14th I am going with the Hebert family to visit friends in the south of France. Not the best time of year to visit the beach, but I will go back later in the year as well. I am sure it will still be lovely. The weather already seems to be improving here, sunny and in the upper 30's low 40's. Not bad. I cannot wait for spring and summer! I think the weather will be amazing, and the scenery beautiful! I plan to travel much more then. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment